Wild mushrooms down 14

By Jennifer Rendon

ILOILO CITY, Philippines — Fourteen members of a family were hospitalized after eating a vegetable dish with wild mushrooms in Iloilo on Tuesday.

Nenita and Billy Gardose, both 51, their children as well as their four grandchildren, aged two to eight, complained of stomach pain and vomiting around two hours after eating the dish, locally known as laswa, at a relocation site in Barangay San Isidro, Jaro.

Barangay captain Felix Dureza said the wild mushrooms were harvested from a vacant lot.

Two of the victims remained confined at the Western Visayas Medical Center in Mandurriao district yesterday.

The Iloilo health office took samples of the dish for laboratory analysis. Food experts warned the public against eating wild mushrooms, saying many varieties are poisonous.

comments powered by Disqus