If Michael V. were president, he says, ‘I would be better!’
•Derek Ramsay back home. Five years after he moved to the Kapatid Network, Derek (photo) is back where he started. Here’s the official announcement: ABS-CBN welcomes back Derek Ramsay who will soon work with Bea Alonzo and Paulo Avelino in the film Kasal under Star Cinema. ABS-CBN’s top management and Derek have met recently and resolved the issues arising from his transfer to another network five years ago.
* * *
For the past 22 years, I‘ve been making it a point to unwind after a heavy weekend deadline by…you didn’t guess it, did you?...watching the award-winning GMA gag show Bubble Gang. No kidding! If I’m at work later, I watch it at the office and if the Entertainment pages are closed earlier, I watch it at home. Three things why I love the show: 1) The gags are fresh and imaginative (even if they border on the “sexy” sometimes), 2) The cast has an infectious sense of humor (keep an eye on the closing segment called Basa-Basa Pik and you’ll get wet eyes from laughing!), and 3) It features a “diverse” array of stars of all shades (yes, color!) and sizes.
Funfare congratulates the guys behind and in the show, particularly Michael V. who is the show’s think tank (the creative director so packed full with rib-tickling ideas that, I suspect, he must have been born laughing his lungs out!). Bubble Gang is celebrating its 22nd anniversary with a two-part special titled Parokya Bente Dos: A Laugh Story, Part 1 aired last week and Part 2 tonight (starting at 10:30 after My Korean Jagiya and before the newscast Saksi). Stay tuned!
It is the story of a simple guy named Buloy (Michael V.), a die-hard fan who has built his dreams around an actress, Birdie Aguila (Kim Domingo) and the countless adventures he had to go through in order to fulfill his life-long dream to be her leading man on and off screen. Serving as soundtrack are the songs of the band Parokya Ni Edgar.
Other members of the Bubble Gang family are Chariz Solomon, Valeen Montenegro, Antonio Aquitania, Boy 2 Quizon, Paolo Contis, Jackie Rice, Denise Barbacena, Lovely Abella, Sef Cadayona, Betong Sumaya, Mikael Daez, Arra San Agustin, Jak Roberto, Archie Alemania, Arny Ross, Mikoy Morales, Ashley Rivera, Analyn Barro, Juancho Trivino, Jan Manual, James Macasero, Rodfil Obeso, Myka Flores and Diego Llorico.
The play is helmed by stage director Rem Zamora, with playwright Vince de Jesus as musical director, Myke Salomon as musical arranger and Dan Cabrera as choreographer.
Michael V. has played various roles on the show. Let’s find out what he would be “if he were.”
Led by creative director Michael V., the Bubble Gang family celebrates 22 years of reverberating bellyaching laughter
• If I were an animal, I would be a monkey.
• If I were a song, I would be Lupang Hinirang.
• If I were a place, I would be your home.
• If I were a tree, I would be a coconut.
• If I were a flower, I would be an everlasting.
• If I were a food, I would be a hotdog.
• If I were a movie, I would be Back to the Future.
• If I were a car, I would be a hybrid.
• If I were a part of the house, I would be THE toilet.
• If I were a hero, I would be Daredevil.
• If I were a cartoon character, I would be Goofy.
• If I were a book, I would be a comic book.
• If I were a Hollywood actor, I would be Charlie Chaplin.
• If I were a subject in school, I would be art.
• If I were a perfume, I would be 1 Million.
• If I were a musical instrument, I would be a ukulele.
• If I were a drink, I would be water.
• If I were a country, I would be Japan.
• If I were a fictional character, I would be Peter Pan.
• If I were a music icon, I would be Michael Jackson.
• If I were a sport, I would be basketball.
• If I were a dessert, I would be ice cream.
• If I were a season, I would be winter.
• If I were a president, I would be better!Shamcey vies for 2017 Miss Unifurs
Beauty observer Eton Concepcion (who works for the PNP magazine) has named his two-month-old toy poodle after Shamcey Supsup who finished third runner-up in the 2011 Miss Universe pageant. Like her namesake, Shamcey is an award winner: Cutest Dog special award in 2014 in its second competition; Kookiest Award at the 2015 Petrifying Trail Halloween Costume Contest and Best Valentine Pair Award with Giggy, its dog companion Chihuahua, at the 2016 Eastwood City annual Pet Blessing, among others.
Since last May, in tandem with Eton, Shamcey has already won eight grand prizes and three runner-up honors. “I can see that Shamcey has grown accustomed to this kind of activity,” said Eton. “She’s ready for the 2017 Miss Unifurs grand coronation to be held at Vistamall Antipolo on Dec. 3.”
Beauty observer Eton Concepcion and Shamcey, his pet poodle named after 2011 Miss Universe third runner-up Shamcey Supsup